This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Fifty crossbred cows were used determine the effects of feeding dietary lipids during the postpartum period on conception rate at synchronized estais (CSE), overall pregnancy rate (PR), blood lipoproteins, insulin, and luteinizing hormone (LH). Animals were randomly assigned to a diet with treatment 1 (n = 25) receiving 4.10% lipid and treatment 2 (n = 25) receiving 9.77% lipid (45% rice bran) for 40 d. Five animals from each treatment were challenged with GnRH (100 μg/cow) and blood was collected at 15-min intervals during the next 2 h for LH analysis. Prior to synchronization blood was collected for cholesterol, triglyceride, and insulin analysis. Animals were rectally palpated at 70 and 140 d to determine CSE and PR. Treatment 2 had a higher average gain during the feeding period, 24.4 ± .6 kg, compared to treatment 1, 16.9 ± .5 kg (P<.01). Serum cholesterol was lower in treatment 2, 193.5 ± 8.4 mg/dL compared to treatment 1, 216.8 ± 10.3 mg/dL (P<.1) with triglycerides being higher in treatment 2, 47.2 ± 2.9 mg/dL, relative to treatment 1, 35.7 ±1.7 mg/dL (P<.01). Serum insulin in treatment 2 was 1.46 ± .1 ng/ml, compared to treatment 1, 1.19 ± .06 ng/ml (P<.05). Overall pregnancy rate in treatment 2 was 96% compared to 80% in treatment 1 (P<.1). CSE was 56% in treatment 2, in contrast to 32% in treatment 1 (P<.05). Magnitude of the LH peak was higher in treatment 2, 7.3 ± 2.6 ng/ml, relative to treatment 1, 2.4 ± 0.5 ng/ml (P<.1). Higher levels of insulin may promote steroidogenesis. These data suggest that rice bran is hypocholesterolemic in cattle, but this does not seem to hinder steroidogenesis. Increased CSE and PR indicate that ovarian function is not impaired by lower levels of cholesterol.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Enzymatic determination of total serum cholesterol.Clin. Chem. 1974; 20: 470
- Effect of diets containing gossypol on spermatogenic tissues of young bulls.Theriogenology. 1988; 30: 507
- Rice bran as a source of dietary fiber.Cereals Foods World. 1987; 32: 538
- Effect of a hyperlipidemic diet on estrus synchronization with melengestrol acetate and prostaglandin F2a.J. South. Sect. Anim. Sci. 1990; 2 (Abstr.): 25
- Quantitative determination of serum triglycerides by use of enzymes.Clin. Chem. 1973; 19: 1027
Fleisher, W.R.H., A.R. Tall, L.D. Witte, R.W. Miller, and P.J. Cannon. Stimulation of arterial endothelial cell prostacyclin synthesis by high density lipoproteins. J. Biol. Chem. 257:6653.
- Short term relationships between LH, FSH, and progesterone concentrations in postpartum dairy cows and the effect of GnRH injection.J. Reprod. Fertil. 1980; 59: 321
- The interrelation between pituitary hypothalamic and ovarian hormones.J. Anim. Sci. 1975; 40: 1091
- Comparative effects of feeding different fats on fatty acid composition of major individual phospholipid of rat hearts.Am. Nutr. Metab. 1990; 34: 350
- Influence of suckling status and type of birth on serum hormone profits and return of estrus in early-postpartum spring lamb ewes.Theriogenology. 1987; 27: 887
- The composition of lipids from rice bran hulls and from the surface of rice caryopsis.J. Sci. Food Agric. 1976; 27: 934
- Insulin secretion in lactating cows, response to glucose infused intravenously in normal, ketonemic and starved animals.J. Dairy Sci. 1978; 61: 1407
- Characterization of hormonal patterns in the beef cow during postpartum anestrus.J. Anim. Sci. 1983; 56: 445
- Characterization of low density and high density lipoprotein receptors in the rat corpus luteum and regulation by Gonadotropin.J. Bid. Chem. 1983; 258: 8020
- GnRH induced LH release in suckled beef cows.The effects of days of postpartum and estradiol 17-β concentrations on the release of LH following administration of GnRH. Theriogenology. 1981; 15: 443
- Oat bran intake selectively lowers serum low density lipoprotein cholesterol concentrations of hypercholesteremic men.Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 1981; 34: 824
- Double strength cholesterol reducer.Sci. News. 1988; 134: 308
- Ovum implantation and early pregnancy inhibited in rats.Life Sci. 1985; 37: 39
- Interactions of several bile salts with hemicellulose from several varieties of rice.J. Food Sci. 1981; 46: 1159
- Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle. 6th Rev. Ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC1984
- Whole sunflower seed as a fat supplement for lactating cows.J. Dairy Sci. 1982; 65: 1484
- Nutritional anestrous in beef cows: concentration of glucose and nonesterified fatty acids in plasma and insulin in serum.J. Anim. Sci. 1989; 67: 2354
- Postpartum nutrient intake and body condition: effect on pituitary and onset of estrus in beef cattle.J. Anim. Sci. 1984; 58: 265
- Growth response, carcass characteristics and serum glucose and insulin in lambs fed tolazamide.Nutr. Rep. Int. 1984; 29: 461
- Factors controlling proliferation and progesterone production by bovine granulosa cells in serum free medium.Endocrinology. 1981; 109: 409
- Evidence for the involvement of an energy-dependent process in gonadotropin-releasing hormone stimulated luteinizing hormone release by rat anterior pituitary.Endocrinology. 1979; 105: 1158
- Principles and Procedures of Statistics.McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York1960
- Relationships among dietary lipid intake, serum cholesterol and ovarian function in Holstein heifers.J. Anim. Sci. 1985; 60: 1045
- Modulation of the hypolipidemic effect of fish oils by dietary fiber in rats: studies with rice and wheat bran.J. Nutr. 1990; 120: 325
- Modulation of luteal activity in postpartum beef cows through changes in dietary lipid.J. Anim. Sci. 1989; 67: 785
- Hypolipedemic activity of whole paddy rice in rats fed a high-fat-high cholesterol diet. Isolation of an active fraction from the husk and bran.Atherosclerosis. 1972; 15: 215
- Dietary lipid metabolism in lactating dairy cows.J. Dairy Sci. 1978; 61: 1400
© 1992 American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.