This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Data (3,710 observations) were collected from two farms by the Virgin Islands Agricultural Experiment Station from 1978 to 1987. Data were analyzed to determine the adequacy of standard Beef Improvement Federation (BIF) age of dam (AOD) and calf sex (SEX) adjustment factors for 205-d weaning weight (WWT) for use on Senepol cattle. The mixed model contained the random effect of contemporary group (CG) and the fixed effects of SEX (bull and heifer), AOD (2 to 11+ yr), and SEX by AOD interaction. In the least squares analysis, CG, SEX, and AOD were highly significant for WWT. The interaction of SEX by AOD was not significant. Estimates of AOD adjustment factors indicate that 2-, 3-, 4- and 11 +-yr-old dams are being overadjusted using BIF correction factors. Adjustments developed by this analysis more adequately fit the Senepol data.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Weaning weight correction factors from Angus field data.J. Anim. Sci. 1978; 47: 124
- Guidelines for uniform beef improvement programs.in: Beef Improvement Federation, USDA, Ext. Serv., Program Aid 1020.1986
- Influence of year and season of birth, sex, sire and age of dam on weights of beef calves alt 60,120,180 and 240 days of age.J. Anim. Sci. 1960; 19: 1062
- Calving difficulty and growth rate of Sirnmental-sired calves. II. Genetic parameter estimates.J. Anim. Sci. 1978; 46: 930
- Effect of region of the United States and age of dam on biith weight aid 205-d weight of Simmental calves.J. Anim. Sci. 1987; 64: 955
- Evaluation of two types of age of dam correction factors for weaning weight in beef cattle.J. Anim. Sci. 1971; 32: 1078
- Estimation of genetic and phenotypic parameters of weaning traits in beef cattle.J. Anim. Sci. 1965; 24: 182
- Effects of age of dam on weight traits in the Simmental population.J. Anim. Sci. 1987; 64: 992
- History and development of Senepol cattle. College of the Virgin Islands Agric.in: Exp. Sta., Report 11.1978
- Factors influencing weaning weight in Hereford cattle and adjustment factors to correct records for these effects.J.. Anim. Sci. 1982; 54: 957
- Weaning weight of beef calves as affected by age and sex of calf and age of dam.J. Anim. Sci. 1965; 24: 1067
- Additive and multiplicative correction factors for sex and age of dam in beef cattle weaning weight.J. Anim. Sci. 1981; 53: 1217
- Characterization of biological types of cattle. VII. Milk production in young cows and transmitted and maternal effects on preweanlng growth of progeny.J. Anim. Sci. 1978; 46: 908
- Milk production in Hereford cows. I. Means and correlations.J. Anim. Sci. 1978; 47: 131
- Milk yield and its influence on 205-day weight of beef calves.J. Anim. Sci. 1971; 33: 563
- SAS User's Guide: Statistics.in: SAS Inst, Inc., Cary, NC.1986
- Age of dam, sex, and environmental interactions affecting preweaming average daily gain of beef cattle.Can. J. Anim. Sd. 1974; 54: 183
- The effect of certain factors on weaning weight and weaning grade of beef cattle. Ph.D.in: Thesis, Iowa State Univ., Ames1968
- Effect of certain factors on weaning weights of beef calves.J. Anim. Sci. 1970; 315
- A summary of genetic and environmental statistics for growth and conformation characteristics of young beef cattle. Texas Agric.Exp. Sta. Dept. Tech. Rep. No. 1977; 103
- Growth and carceiss characteristics of Senepol bulls on various energy levels over different time periods, under tropical conditions.in: M.S. Thesis, Michigan State Univ., East Lansing.1986
- Factors affeding milk production of Senepol cows under tropical paisture conditions.J. Anim. Sci. 1990; 68 (Suppl.1)(Abstr.): 32
© 1991 American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.