This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Bermudagrass [Cynodon dactylon (L.) Pers.] is productive in summer but is dormant for much of the year. The grazing season for bermudagrass pastures can be lengthened by fall interseeding of rye (Secale cereale L.). In trial 1, performance of Stocker cattle (222 kg average BW) grazing monocultured rye (MR) followed by bermudagrass (MB) in separate pastures was compared with that of cattle grazing interseeded rye-bermudagrass pastures (IRB). Spring forage production and 1989 carrying capacity were greater (P<.01)from MR than from spring IRB but gain per animal and per hectare did not differ (P>.10)between systems. Summer bermudagrass gain and grazing days from the two systems varied by year. Overall gain per hectare of land grazed and animal grazing days per hectare were greater (P<.05) both years for the IRB system than for the combined use of MR and MB. Land Equivalent Ratio for overall gain from IRB was >2.0, indicating a greater efficiency for interseeding. In trial 2, ruminally fistulated heifers (395 kg average BW) were used to estimate forage intake and nutritional components from the two types of rye pastures. Dietary forage from MR was higher (P≤.01) in neutraldetergent fiber, ADF, and in vitro organic matter digestion (IVOMD, 48 h) and lower (P<.01)in acid-detergent lignin (ADL) and indigestible ADF (IADF) than forage from IRB. Crude protein and rates of IVOMD did not differ (P>.10) between MR and IRB dietary forage. Heifers grazing MR had higher (P<.01)OM intake, lower OM (P=.06) and IADF (P<.01) fill, and shorter (P<.05) rumen retention time than heifers grazing IRB. Growers may obtain greater animal production per hectare by interseeding winter cereals into bermudagrass than by monoculturing separate pastures.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Official Methods of Analysis. 13th Ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC1980
- Effects of forage system on beef cow-calf productivity.J. Anim. Sci. 1987; 64: 678
- Warm season grasses.Southern Forages. Agronomic Research, Atlanta, GA, Potash and Phosphate Institute and Foundation for1991: 28
- Effect of sodium hydroxide on efficiency of rumen digestion.J. Anim. Sci. 1979; 49: 1317
- Effect of stocking rate, season and pasture characteristics on liveweight gain of beef steers grazing perennial pastures.Aust. J. Agric. Res. 1989; 40: 1277
- Justification for grazing intensity experiments: Analyzing and interpreting grazing data.J. Range Manage. 1988; 41: 274
- Disk meter for rapid estimation of herbage yield in grazing trials.Agron. J. 1977; 69: 393
- Experimental Designs.2nd Ed. John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY1957
- Determination of ammonium in Kjeldahl digests of crops by an automated procedure.J. Sci. Food Agric. 1971; 22: 9
- Forage Fiber Analysis (apparatus, reagents, procedures, and some applications).Agric. Handbook 379. ARS, USDA, Washington, DC1970
- In vitro dry matter or organic matter digestion.in: Nutrition Research Techniques for Domestic and Wild Animals. Vol. 1. Published by L. E. Harris, Logan, UT1970: 5001-5011
- Effects of protein and energy supplementation of cows grazing native winter range forage on intake and digestibility.J. Anim. Sci. 1981; 51: 432
- Development of techniques for evaluating grazed forage.J. Dairy Sci. 1960; 43: 682
- A rapid method for the determination of nitrogen in plant tissue.Science. 1942; 96: 565
- Use of the relationship of stocking rate to gain of cattle in an experimental design for grazing trials.Agron. J. 1961; 53: 309
- SAS/STAT® User's Guide.SAS Institute Inc, Cary, NC1988
- Statistical Methods.7th Ed. The Iowa State Univ, Press, Ames, IA1980
- Evaluation of annual grass forages in prepared seedbeds and overseeded into perennial sods.J. Anim. Sci. 1976; 42: 16
- Nutritional Ecology of the Ruminant.Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY1982
- Effects of supplemental silage on forage intake and utilization by steers grazing wheat pasture or bermudagrass.J. Anim. Sci. 1989; 67: 232
- Increased use of southern piedmont land and climatic resources by interseeding small grains in dormant Coastal bermudagrass.in: Smith J.A. Hays V.W. Proc. XIV Int. Grassi. Cong., Lexington, KY Westview Press, Boulder, CO1981: 568 (June 15-24)
- Intercropping — its importance and research needs.Parts I and II. Field Crop Abstr. 1979; 32: 73
- The determination of chromic oxide in faeces samples by atomic absorption spectrophotometry.J. Agric. Sci. 1962; 59: 381
© 1995 American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.