Conclusions and Applications
MILK PRODUCTION ON NUTRIENT REQUIREMENTS AND INTAKE
MILK PRODUCTION ON COW PERFORMANCE
- Mulliniks J.T.
- Cox S.H.
- Kemp M.E.
- Endecott R.L.
- Waterman R.C.
- VanLeeuwen D.M.
- Torell L.A.
- Petersen M.K.
- Macdonald K.A.
- Verkerk G.A.
- Thorrold B.S.
- Pryce J.E.
- Penno J.W.
- McNaughton L.R.
- Burton L.J.
- Lancaster J.A.S.
- Williamson J.H.
- Holmes C.W.
- Hobbs J.D.
- Edwards S.R.
- Cope E.R.
- McFarlane Z.D.
- Pohler K.G.
- Mulliniks J.T.
- Mulliniks J.T.
- Cox S.H.
- Kemp M.E.
- Endecott R.L.
- Waterman R.C.
- VanLeeuwen D.M.
- Torell L.A.
- Petersen M.K.
MILK PRODUCTION ON PROGENY PRE- AND POSTWEANING PERFORMANCE
Preweaning Calf Performance
Postweaning Steer Performance
Postweaning Heifer Progeny
Economics of Milk Production
- Effects of milk intake on forage intake and performance of suckling range calves..https://doi.org/10.2527/1991.693899x2061260J. Anim. Sci. 1991; 69: 899-904
- Estimated water and forage intake in nursing beef calves..https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas81-049Can. J. Anim. Sci. 1981; 61: 415-421
- Evaluation of age of dam effects on maternal performance of multilactation daughters from high- and low-milk EPD sires at three locations in the southern United States..https://doi.org/10.2527/2003.8171693x12854804J. Anim. Sci. 2003; 81: 1693-1699
- Rumen development, intestinal growth and hepatic metabolism in the pre- and postweaning ruminant..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)70061-2J. Dairy Sci. 2004; 87: E55-E65
- Effect of energy intake on the postpartum interval in beef cows and the adequacy of the cow’s milk production for calf growth..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1984.5851068x6735939J. Anim. Sci. 1984; 58: 1068-1074
- Techniques for estimation of milk yield in beef cows and relationships of milk yield to calf weight gain and postpartum reproduction..https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.684937x2332393J. Anim. Sci. 1990; 68: 937-943
- Effects of precalving feed level on birth weight, calving difficulty and subsequent fertility..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1978.4661522xJ. Anim. Sci. 1978; 46: 1522-1528
- Effects of milk and forage intake on calf performance..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1980.513550xJ. Anim. Sci. 1980; 51: 550-553
- Simulated efficiency of range beef production. I. Growth and milk production..10.2527/jas1987.654943xJ. Anim. Sci. 1987; 65: 943-955
- Relationship of sire expected progeny differences to milk yield in Brangus cows..https://doi.org/10.2527/2005.8351194x15827264J. Anim. Sci. 2005; 83: 1194-1201
- Milk yield and quality in cows sired by different beef breeds..https://doi.org/10.15232/S1080-7446(15)30620-3Prof. Anim. Sci. 2010; 26: 393-397
- Increased postweaning gain of beef heifers enhances fertility and milk production..https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.734937x7628970J. Anim. Sci. 1995; 73: 937-946
- Nutritional interactions with reproductive performance in dairy cattle..https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4320(00)00076-210844215Anim. Reprod. Sci. 2000; 60-61: 449-457
- Effect of level of beef cow milk production on pre- and postweaning calf growth..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1987.6451313x3583941J. Anim. Sci. 1987; 64: 1313-1322
- Life cycle efficiency of beef production: I. Cow efficiency ratios for progeny weaned..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1983.574832x6643301J. Anim. Sci. 1983; 57 (a): 832-851
- Life cycle efficiency of beef production: II. Relationship of cow efficiency ratios to traits of the dam and progeny weaned..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1983.574852x6643302J. Anim. Sci. 1983; 57 (b): 852-866
- Life cycle efficiency of beef production. VI. Relationship of cow efficiency ratios for progeny slaughtered to growth, condition, fertility and milk production of the dam..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1985.60169xJ. Anim. Sci. 1985; 60: 69-81
- Productivity as two-year-olds of Angus-Holstein crossbreds compared to Angus heifers under range conditions..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1971.332337x5106167J. Anim. Sci. 1971; 33: 337-342
- Consequences of genetic selection for increased milk production in European seasonal pasture based systems of milk production..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livprodsci.2005.06.011Livest. Sci. 2006; 99: 141-158
- High milk production decreases cow-calf productivity within a highly available feed resource environment..10.2527/tas2016.0006Transl. Anim. Sci. 2017; 1: 54-59
- Contribution of visceral organs to animal energy expenditures..J. Anim. Sci. 1988; 66: 23-34
- Energy utilization by mature, nonpregnant, nonlactating cows of different types..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1984.581234x6698902J. Anim. Sci. 1984; 58: 234-243
- Cow type and the nutritional environment: Nutritional aspects..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1985.613725x4066531J. Anim. Sci. 1985; 61: 725-741
- Contribution of breed, cow weight, and milk yield to the traits of heifers and cows in four beef breeding systems..https://doi.org/10.2527/1992.70123686x1474008J. Anim. Sci. 1992; 70: 3686-3696
- Milk yield of primiparous beef cows from three calving systems and varied weaning ages..10.2527/jas.2007-0389J. Anim. Sci. 2008; 86: 768-779
- Factors influencing growth of rumen, liver, and other organs in kids weaned from milk replacers to solid foods..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(76)84330-5932257J. Dairy Sci. 1976; 59: 1110-1118
- Effects of winter supplementation strategy on beef cattle performance and metabolism as well as calf health and performance.New Mexico State Univ., Las Cruces2010 (PhD Diss)
- Forage intake by lactating beef cows differing in potential for milk production..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1989.67113018x2592284J. Anim. Sci. 1989; 67: 3018-3027
- Effects of creep feeding and monensin on reproductive performance and lactation of beef heifers..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1982.553467x7130061J. Anim. Sci. 1982; 55: 467-474
- Circulating beta-hydroxybutyrate concentration may be a predictive measurement for young cows that have a greater probability to conceive at a fixed-time artificial insemination..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2016.124728464111J. Anim. Sci. 2017; 95: 1545-1552
- Performance of 3-year-old Hereford, Hereford × Holstein and Holstein cows on range and in drylot..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1975.401114xJ. Anim. Sci. 1975; 40: 114-125
- Relationship between preweaning nutritional management and subsequent performance of Angus and Hereford females through three calf crops..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1973.373807xJ. Anim. Sci. 1973; 37: 807-812
- The effect of supplements of formaldehyde-treated casein on the partitioning of nutrients between cow and calf in lactating Bos indicus × Bos taurus heifers fed a roughage diet..https://doi.org/10.1071/AR9881151Aust. J. Agric. Res. 1988; 39: 1151-1162
- Influence of milk production potential on forage dry matter intake by multiparous and primiparous Brangus females..https://doi.org/10.2527/2003.8171837x12854822J. Anim. Sci. 2003; 81: 1837-1846
- Across-breed EPD tables for the year 2016 adjusted to breed differences for birth year of 2014.in: Pages 127–154 in Beef Improve. Fed. Proc. Beef Improve. Fed., Verona, MS. 2016
- Weaning weight trends in the US beef cattle industry..https://doi.org/10.15232/aas.2018-01797Appl. Anim. Sci. 2019; 35: 57-65
- Evaluation of intensive vs extensive systems of beef production and the effect of level of beef cow milk production on postweaning performance..https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.6882517x2401667J. Anim. Sci. 1990; 68: 2517-2524
- Age of cow and age of dam effects on milk production of Hereford cows..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1989.67102544x2808160J. Anim. Sci. 1989; 67: 2544-2549
- Effects of milk intake by nursing calves on forage intake on range and creep intake and digestibility in drylot..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1976.4351066xJ. Anim. Sci. 1976; 43: 1066-1071
- A comparison of three strains of Holstein-Friesian grazed on pasture and managed under different feed allowances..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2007-044118349263J. Dairy Sci. 2008; 91: 1693-1707
- Relationships between direct and maternal effects on growth in Herefords: I. Environmental factors during preweaning growth..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1971.32117xJ. Anim. Sci. 1971; 32: 17-25
- Relationship of beef sire expected progeny difference to maternal performance of cross-bred daughters..https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.7192371x8407649J. Anim. Sci. 1993; 71: 2371-2374
- Relationship of milk production, milk expected progeny difference, and calf weaning weight in Angus and Simmental cow-calf pairs..https://doi.org/10.2527/1992.70113304x1459890J. Anim. Sci. 1992; 70: 3304-3310
- Creed feed as a factor influencing performance of cows and calves..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1981.53133xJ. Anim. Sci. 1981; 53: 33-39
- Estimation of net present value of beef females of various ages and the economic sensitivity of net present value to changes in production..https://doi.org/10.15232/S1080-7446(15)31723-XProf. Anim. Sci. 1999; 15: 46-52
- Critical control points for profitability in the cow-calf enterprise..https://doi.org/10.15232/S1080-7446(15)31643-0Prof. Anim. Sci. 2001; 17: 295-302
- Effects of milk yield on biological efficiency and profit of beef production from birth to slaughter..https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.772344x10100661J. Anim. Sci. 1999; 77: 344-352
- Milk production of crossbred daughters of high- and low-milk EPD Angus and Hereford bulls..https://doi.org/10.2527/2001.7961386x11424673J. Anim. Sci. 2001; 79: 1386-1393
- Biological efficiency to weaning and to slaughter of crossbred beef cattle with different genetic potential for milk..https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.6882297x2401652J. Anim. Sci. 1990; 68: 2297-2309
- Energy requirements for maintenance of crossbred beef cattle with different genetic potential for milk..https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.6882279x2401650J. Anim. Sci. 1990; 68: 2279-2288
- Evaluation of lactation demands on nutrient balance in two calving seasons in range cows grazing Sandhills upland range.in: Pages 18–20in Univ. Nebraska Beef Report. Agric. Res. Dev., UNL Coop. Ext., Lincoln, NE. 2019
- Protein and glucogenic precursor supplementation: A nutritional strategy to increase reproductive and economic output..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-328621622883J. Anim. Sci. 2011; 89 (a): 3334-3343
- Post-weaning feed efficiency decreased in progeny of higher milk yielding beef cows..https://doi.org/10.1017/S175173111700145828689513Animal. 2018; 12: 275-279
- The effect of increasing amount of glucogenic precursors on reproductive performance in young postpartum range cows..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-319821498654J. Anim. Sci. 2011; 89 (b): 2932-2943
- Does β-hydroxybutyrate concentration influence conception date in young postpartum range beef cows?.https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2012-602923478827J. Anim. Sci. 2013; 91: 2902-2909
- Forages and Pasture Symposium: Improving efficiency of production in pasture- and range-based beef and dairy systems..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2014-859526115249J. Anim. Sci. 2015; 93: 2609-2615
- Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle.8th rev. ed. Natl. Acad. Press, Washington, DC201610.17226/19014
- Calculated energy requirements of lactating and non-lactating Hereford cows..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1969.295823x5391980J. Anim. Sci. 1969; 29: 823-829
- Effects of age and diet on rumen and blood components of the young calf..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(65)88560-5J. Dairy Sci. 1965; 48: 1716-1718
- Differences Between High-, Medium-, and Low-Profit Cow-Calf Producers: An Analysis of 2012–2016 Kansas Farm Management Association Cow-Calf Enterprise.Dept. Agric. Econ., Kansas State Univ., Manhattan2018
- Nutrition and postpartum rebreeding in cattle..https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.683853x2180880J. Anim. Sci. 1990; 68: 853-862
- Milk production in Hereford cows I. means and correlations..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1978.471131xJ. Anim. Sci. 1978; 47: 131-136
- Milk yield and composition from Angus and Angus-cross beef cows raised in southern Brazil..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2013-705524753378J. Anim. Sci. 2014; 92: 2668-2676
- Milk yield and its influence on 205-day weight of beef calves..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1971.333563x5166196J. Anim. Sci. 1971; 33: 563-567
- Influence of nutrition on mammary development in pre- and postpubertal heifers..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(82)82268-67202022J. Dairy Sci. 1982; 65: 793-800
- The Nebraska Ranch Practicum: An insight into cow and calf production from varying precipitation and two weaning dates..10.1093/jas/sky073.378J. Anim. Sci. 2018; 96 (Abstr): 205
- Rumen development in the calf. 1. The effect of diets containing different proportions of concentrates to hay on rumen development..https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN196600215938699Br. J. Nutr. 1966; 20: 171-188
- Inter-breed relationship of maintenance efficiency to milk yield in cattle..https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100018328Anim. Prod. 1986; 43: 37-61
- Relation of estimation method sampling interval and milk composition to milk yield of beef cows and calf gain..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1973.371153xJ. Anim. Sci. 1973; 37: 153-158
- Beef production efficiency: The efficiency of beef production can be improved by applying knowledge of nutrition and breeding..https://doi.org/10.1126/science.198.4321.100917779672Science. 1977; 198: 1009-1015
- Economical and biological efficiencies of beef cattle differing in level of milk production..https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.71144x8454551J. Anim. Sci. 1993; 71: 44-50
- Relationships of milk production of beef cows to postweaning gain of the calves..https://doi.org/10.15232/S1080-7446(15)30717-8Prof. Anim. Sci. 2009; 25: 266-272
- Research needs in beef cattle reproduction..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1970.314755xJ. Anim. Sci. 1970; 31: 755-762
- Performance of 4- and 5-year-old Hereford, Hereford × Holstein and Holstein cows on range and in drylot..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1977.4551120xJ. Anim. Sci. 1977; 45: 1120-1130
The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.