Materials and Methods
Results and Discussion
Implications and Applications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Influence of pre-slaughter process on pork quality: An overview..https://doi.org/10.1080/87559120902956216Food Rev. Int. 2009; 25: 233-250
- The effects of conditioned behaviour and environmental factors on plasma corticosteroid levels in pigs..https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9384(73)90309-04350728Physiol. Behav. 1973; 10: 267-274
- Feeding and drinking patterns in young pigs..https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9384(88)90104-73413258Physiol. Behav. 1988; 43: 99-109
- A two-level pen for fattening pigs: Effects on behavior, performance, and postslaughter measurements..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas2016.083128380603J. Anim. Sci. 2017; 95: 616-625
Chaput, R. L., E. L. Barron, J. K. Warrenfeltz, W. W. Wolfe, and T. K. Dalton. 1973. The miniature pig: A biomedical model for behavioral studies. Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institution, Bethesda, MD. Accession No. AD0776216. Accessed May 21, 2020. https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/776216.pdf.
- Effects of different moving devices at loading on stress response and meat quality in pigs..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-283320802143J. Anim. Sci. 2010; 88: 4086-4093
- Effects of environmental enrichment on behavioral responses to novelty, learning, and memory, and the circadian rhythm in cortisol in growing pigs..https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9384(99)00212-710713299Physiol. Behav. 2000; 68: 571-578
- The effects of lairage time and handling procedure prior to slaughter on stress and meat quality parameters in pigs..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2014.06.00324971810Meat Sci. 2014; 98: 220-226
- Differing results for motivation tests and measures of resource use: The value of environmental enrichment to gestating sows housed in stalls..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2012.07.010Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 2012; 141: 9-19
- Preslaughter handling practices and their effects on animal welfare and pork quality..https://doi.org/10.1093/jas/skx06429401265J. Anim. Sci. 2018; 96: 728-738
- Agonistic behavior, plasma stress hormones, and metabolites in response to dyadic encounters in domestic pigs: Interrelationships and effect of dominance status..Physiol. Behav. 1994; 56: 841-847
- Factors associated with fatigued, injured, and dead pig frequency during transport and lairage at a commercial abattoir..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-127019028860J. Anim. Sci. 2009; 87: 1156-1166
- Assessing learning and memory in pigs..https://doi.org/10.1007/s10071-010-0364-321203792Anim. Cogn. 2011; 14: 151-173
- Effect of previous ramp exposure and regular handling on heart rate, ease of handling and behaviour of near market-weight pigs during a simulated loading..https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas2013-166Can. J. Anim. Sci. 2013; 93: 461-470
- 2011 and 2012 Early Careers Achievement Awards: Farm and pig factors affecting welfare during the marketing process..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2012-611423478817J. Anim. Sci. 2013; 91: 2481-2491
Knowles, T. G., and P. D. Warris. 2000. Stress physiology of animals during transport. Pages 385–407 in Livestock Handling and Transport. 2nd ed. T. Grandin, ed. CAB Int., Wallingford, Oxfordshire, UK.
Moberg, C. P., and J. A. Mench. 2000. The Biology of Animal Stress. CAB Int., Wallingford, Oxfordshire, UK.
- Design, cost and performance of a free-access, two-level pen for growing-finishing pigs..Can. Agric. Eng. 1987; 29: 193-195
- The effects of handling and group size on welfare of pigs in lairage and their influence on stomach weight, carcass microbial contamination and meat quality..https://doi.org/10.4141/A06-041Can. J. Anim. Sci. 2007; 87: 3-12
- Review: Transport losses in market weight pigs: I. A review of definitions, incidence, and economic impact..https://doi.org/10.15232/S1080-7446(15)30735-XProf. Anim. Sci. 2009; 25: 404-414
Skinner, B. F. 1969. Contingencies of Reinforcement: A Theoretical Analysis. Appleton-Century-Crofts, New York, NY.
- Arousal and exploration in growing pigs in different environments..https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3762(80)90140-6Appl. Anim. Ethol. 1980; 6: 382-383
USDA. 2019. Livestock Slaughter 2018 Summary. USDA, Washington, DC.
- Object movement re-enactment in free-ranging Kune Kune piglets..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anbehav.2017.08.004Anim. Behav. 2017; 132: 49-59
- Pre-slaughter handling and pork quality..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2014.09.14825460114Meat Sci. 2015; 100: 118-123
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.