Materials and Methods
Results and Discussion
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
AMSA. 2012. Meat Color Measurement Guidelines. Am. Meat Sci. Assoc., Champaign, IL.
ANKOM. 2020. Acid Detergent Fiber in Feeds. https://www.ankom.com/sites/default/files/document-files/Method_5_ADF_A200.pdf.
AOAC International. 2006. Official Methods of Analysis. 18th ed. AOAC Int., Gaithersburg, MD.
- Effect of feeding lambs oleic acid calcium soaps on growth, adipose tissue development and composition..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2005.02.006Small Rumin. Res. 2006; 63: 75-83
- Supplemental safflower oil affects the fatty acid profile, including conjugated linoleic acid, of lamb..https://doi.org/10.2527/2005.8392175x16100073J. Anim. Sci. 2005; 83: 2175-2181
- Feeding lambs high-oleate or high-linoleate safflower seeds differentially influences carcass fatty acid composition..https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.803609x11890397J. Anim. Sci. 2002; 80: 609-616
- Effects of supplementation with high linoleic or oleic cracked safflower seeds on postpartum reproduction and calf performance of primiparous beef heifers..J. Anim. Sci. 2002; 80: 2023-2030
- Fatty acid biosynthesis and lipogenic enzyme activities in subcutaneous adipose tissue of feedlot steers fed supplementary palm oil or soybean oil..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2012-580123463571J. Anim. Sci. 2013; 91: 2091-2098
- Differing effects of forage and concentrate diets on the oleic acid and conjugated linoleic acid content of sheep tissues: The role of stearoyl-CoA desaturase..https://doi.org/10.2527/2004.823747x15032431J. Anim. Sci. 2004; 82: 747-758
- Prediction of fat percentage within marbling score on beef longissimus muscle using 3 different fat determination methods..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-338221112980J. Anim. Sci. 2011; 89: 1173-1179
- Importance of dietary γ-linolenic acid in human health and nutrition..https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/128.9.14119732298J. Nutr. 1998; 128: 1411-1414
FDA (US Food and Drug Administration). 2018. Final determination regarding partially hydrogenated oils (removing trans fat). Accessed Aug. 1, 2020. https://www.fda.gov/food/food-additives-petitions/final-determination-regarding-partially-hydrogenated-oils-removing-trans-fat.
- Quantitation of hexanal by automated SPME for studying dietary influences on the oxidation of pork..10.1016/S0889-1575(02)00173-4J. Food Compos. Anal. 2013; 16: 179-188
- A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues..13428781J. Biol. Chem. 1957; 226: 497-509
- Effects of diets containing linoleic acid- or oleic acid–rich oils on ruminal fermentation and nutrient digestibility, and performance and fatty acid composition of adipose and muscle tissues of finishing cattle..https://doi.org/10.2527/2005.8361312x15890808J. Anim. Sci. 2005; 83: 1312-1321
- Effect of high oleic acid soybeans on production performance, milk fatty acid composition, and enteric methane emission in dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2016-1191127988126J. Dairy Sci. 2017; 100: 1122-1135
- Lipid and colour stability of meat from lambs fed fresh herbage or concentrate..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.01.01020416762Meat Sci. 2009; 82: 193-199
- Preparation of fatty acid methyl esters and dimethylacetals from lipids with boron fluoride-methanol..14221106J. Lipid Res. 1964; 5: 600-608
NASEM (National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine). 2007. Nutrient Requirements of Small Ruminants. Natl. Acad. Press, Washington, DC. 10.17226/11654.
Qualisoy. 2018. An Ingredient You Can Trust. Accessed Oct. 6, 2019. https://www.qualisoy.com/food-industry-solutions/high-oleic-soybean-oil.
- Effect of dietary high oleic sunflower oil on pork carcass traits and fatty acid profiles of raw tissues..https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(88)90038-122056055Meat Sci. 1988; 24: 249-260
Richards, M. P. 2007. Lipids: Functional properties. Chapter 7 in Food Chemistry: Principles and Applications. 2nd ed. Y. H. Hui, ed. Sci. Technol. Syst., West Sacramento, CA.
- Assessment of the influence of diet on lamb meat oxidation..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.11.081Food Chem. 2008; 109: 573-579
- Adiposity, fatty acid composition, and delta-9 desaturase activity during growth in beef cattle..https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2006.00375.xAnim. Sci. J. 2006; 77: 478-486
- A distillation method for the quantitative determination of malonaldehyde in rancid foods..https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02630824J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 1960; 37: 44-48
- The effects of high-oleic peanuts as an alternative feed ingredient on broiler performance, ileal digestibility, apparent metabolizable energy, and histology of the intestine..https://doi.org/10.1093/tas/txaa13732832857Transl. Anim. Sci. 2020; 4
United Soybean Board. 2018. High Oleic Soybeans. Accessed Nov. 26, 2017. https://unitedsoybean.org/media-center/issue-briefs/high-oleic-soybeans/.
USDA, Economic Research Service. 2019. Sheep, Lamb and Mutton Sector at a Glance. Accessed Sep. 1, 2020. https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/animal-products/sheep-lamb-mutton/sector-at-a-glance/.
USDA–FSIS (Food Safety and Inspection Service). 2013. The Color of Meat and Poultry. Accessed Aug. 30 2019. https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/meat-preparation/the-color-of-meat-and-poultry/the-color-of-meat-and-poultry/ct_index.
- Factors influencing fatty acids in meat and the role of antioxidants in improving meat quality..https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN199701349292774Br. J. Nutr. 1997; 78: S49-S60
- Relationship between instrumental and visual color in a raw, fresh beef and chicken model system..https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.1999.tb00391.xJ. Muscle Foods. 1999; 10: 131-146
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.