Materials and Methods
Results and Discussion
Implications and Applications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Interactions between forage and wet corn gluten feed as sources of fiber in diets for lactating dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(00)74882-X10714868J. Dairy Sci. 2000; 83: 322-331
- Evaluation of dried and wet distillers grains included at two concentrations in the diets of lactating dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(06)72587-516840630J. Dairy Sci. 2006; 89: 3133-3142
- Maximal replacement of forage and concentrate with a new wet corn milling product for lactating dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(01)74545-611352164J. Dairy Sci. 2001; 84: 873-884
Bradford, B. J., and A. J. Carpenter. 2017. Utilization of by-product and co-product feeds. Pages 739–750 in Large Dairy Herd Management. 3rd ed. D. K. Beede, ed. Am. Dairy Sci. Assoc. https://doi.org/10.3168/ldhm.0854.
- Invited review: Strategies for promoting productivity and health of dairy cattle by feeding nonforage fiber sources..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2012-539322916877J. Dairy Sci. 2012; 95: 4735-4746
Brouk, M. J., J. F. Smith, and K. N. Grigsby. 2006. Responses of lactating Holstein cows to increasing amounts of wet corn gluten feed. Pages 14–17 in Dairy Research 2006. Kansas State Univ.
- Detection of influential observation in linear regression..https://doi.org/10.1080/00401706.1977.10489493Technometrics. 1977; 19: 15-18
- Intake limitations, feeding behavior, and rumen function of cows challenged with rumen fill from dietary fiber or inert bulk..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(95)76622-X7738249J. Dairy Sci. 1995; 78: 118-133
- Effects of inclusion of corn gluten feed in dairy rations on dry matter intake, milk yield, milk components, and ruminal fermentation parameters: A meta-analysis..https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-020-02261-232170651Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 2020; 52: 2359-2369
- Publication bias in clinical research..https://doi.org/10.1016/0140-6736(91)90201-Y1672966Lancet. 1991; 337: 867-872
Fanning, K. 2010. Cattle Nutrition: Feeding Coproducts: Fact versus Myth. Accessed Nov. 30, 2020. https://www.agweb.com/article/cattle_nutrition_feeding_coproducts_fact_versus_myth.
- Nitrogen utilization, nutrient digestibility, and excretion of purine derivatives in dairy cattle consuming rations containing corn milling co-products..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2009-259820655434J. Dairy Sci. 2010; 93: 3641-3651
Giridhar, K., and A. Samireddypalle. 2015. Impact of climate change on forage availability for livestock. Pages 97–112 in Climate Change Impact on Livestock: Adaptation and Mitigation. V. Sejian, J. Gaughan, L. Baumgard, and C. Prasad, ed. Springer India.
- Single-dose infusion of sodium butyrate, but not lactose, increases plasma β-hydroxybutyrate and insulin in lactating dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2016-1163427837980J. Dairy Sci. 2017; 100: 757-768
- Short communication: Effects of butyrate supplementation on the productivity of lactating dairy cows fed diets differing in starch content..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2019-1711331629511J. Dairy Sci. 2019; 102: 11051-11056
- Replacing human-edible feed ingredients with by-products increases net food production efficiency in dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2017-1420929753487J. Dairy Sci. 2018; 101: 7146-7155
- Modification of the Penn state forage and total mixed ration particle separator and the effects of moisture content on its measurements..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)73773-412778598J. Dairy Sci. 2003; 86: 1858-1863
- Estimation of the proportion of feed protein digested in the small intestine of cattle consuming wet corn gluten feed..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2006-55217430941J. Dairy Sci. 2007; 90: 2377-2385
- Milk production of dairy cows fed wet corn gluten feed during the dry period and lactation..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(06)72338-416772581J. Dairy Sci. 2006; 89: 2608-2617
- Feeding diets varying in forage proportion and particle length to lactating dairy cows: I. Effects on ruminal Ph and fermentation, microbial protein synthesis, digestibility, and milk production..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2019-1760632197848J. Dairy Sci. 2020; 103: 4340-4354
- Effects of high-starch or high-fat diets formulated to be isoenergetic on energy and nitrogen partitioning and utilization in lactating jersey cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2019-1763832197845J. Dairy Sci. 2020; 103: 4378-4389
- Effects of feeding increasing levels of wet corn gluten feed on production and ruminal fermentation in lactating dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2010-331020965349J. Dairy Sci. 2010; 93: 5329-5337
- Short communication: Supplementing lysine and methionine in a lactation diet containing a high concentration of wet corn gluten feed did not alter milk protein yield..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2013-675523746581J. Dairy Sci. 2013; 96: 5300-5305
- Canola meal replacing distillers grains with solubles for lactating dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2009-227619841226J. Dairy Sci. 2009; 92: 5669-5676
NASEM (National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine). 2016. Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle. 8th rev. ed. Natl. Acad. Press.
- Biosynthesis of milk fat, protein, and lactose: Roles of transcriptional and posttranscriptional regulation..https://doi.org/10.1152/physiolgenomics.00016.201526812986Physiol. Genomics. 2016; 48: 231-256
- Effects of source of carbohydrate and protein and rumen-protected methionine on performance of cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(98)75569-99493097J. Dairy Sci. 1998; 81: 221-228
- Ruminal degradation and intestinal digestibility of protein and amino acids in high-protein feedstuffs commonly used in dairy diets..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2014-810825108871J. Dairy Sci. 2014; 97: 6485-6498
- Production of dairy cows fed distillers dried grains with solubles in low- and high-forage diets..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2017-1425830292550J. Dairy Sci. 2018; 101: 10886-10898
- Effects of varying rates of tallgrass prairie hay and wet corn gluten feed on productivity of lactating dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2011-475222281347J. Dairy Sci. 2012; 95: 842-849
- Meta-analysis of postruminal microbial nitrogen flows in dairy cattle. I. Derivation of equations..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2015-1066127448861J. Dairy Sci. 2016; 99: 7918-7931
Sanchez-Duarte, J. I. 2017. Response of dairy cows to dietary starch concentrations: Performance, nutrient digestion, and gas emissions. PhD Diss. Dept. Dairy Sci., South Dakota State Univ., Brookings, SD.
- Review: Use and misuse of meta-analysis in animal science..https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731120001688Animal. 2020; 14: s207-s222
- Meta-analyses of experimental data in animal nutrition..https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731108002280Animal. 2008; 2: 1203-1214
- Invited review: The use of distillers products in dairy cattle diets..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2009-254919923586J. Dairy Sci. 2009; 92: 5802-5813
- Statistical and measurement pitfalls in the use of meta-regression in meta-analysis..https://doi.org/10.1108/CDI-08-2017-0136Career Dev. Int. 2017; 22: 469-476
- Chewing, rumen pool characteristics, and lactation performance of dairy cows fed 2 concentrations of a corn wet-milling coproduct with different forage sources..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2014-816924996267J. Dairy Sci. 2014; 97: 5786-5799
- Invited review: Integrating quantitative findings from multiple studies using mixed model methodology..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(01)74530-411352149J. Dairy Sci. 2001; 84: 741-755
- Effects of ruminal ammonia and butyrate concentrations on reticuloruminal epithelial blood flow and volatile fatty acid absorption kinetics under washed reticulorumen conditions in lactating dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2010-409121787934J. Dairy Sci. 2011; 94: 3980-3994
- Effects of wet corn gluten feed on ruminal ph and productivity of lactating dairy cattle fed diets with sufficient physically effective fiber..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2012-532022916927J. Dairy Sci. 2012; 95: 5213-5220
- Determining the optimal ratio of canola meal and high protein dried distillers grain protein in diets of high producing Holstein dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2013.12.007Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 2014; 189: 41-53
- Feeding dairy cows with “leftovers” and the variation in recovery of human-edible nutrients in milk..https://doi.org/10.3389/fsufs.2019.00114Front. Sustain. Food Syst. 2019; 3: 114
- Publication bias in meta-analysis: Its causes and consequences..https://doi.org/10.1016/S0895-4356(99)00161-410729693J. Clin. Epidemiol. 2000; 53: 207-216
- Major advances in nutrition: Relevance to the sustainability of the dairy industry..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(06)72196-816537960J. Dairy Sci. 2006; 89: 1280-1291
- Use of a corn milling product in diets for dairy cows to alleviate milk fat depression..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2011-502622459853J. Dairy Sci. 2012; 95: 2081-2090
- Effects of feeding diets composed of corn silage and a corn milling product with and without supplemental lysine and methionine to dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2018-1553530612798J. Dairy Sci. 2019; 102: 2075-2084
- Predicting the risks from climate change to forage and crop production for animal feed..https://doi.org/10.2527/af.2013-0006Anim. Front. 2013; 3: 36-41
- Nutritional and greenhouse gas impacts of removing animals from us agriculture..https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1707322114Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 2017; 114 (E10301)
- Physically adjusted neutral detergent fiber system for lactating dairy cow rations. I: Deriving equations that identify factors that influence effectiveness of fiber..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2017-1276528987580J. Dairy Sci. 2017; 100: 9551-9568
- Increasing physically effective fiber content of dairy cow diets through forage proportion versus forage chop length: Chewing and ruminal pH..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-137919307642J. Dairy Sci. 2009; 92: 1603-1615
- Invited review: Role of physically effective fiber and estimation of dietary fiber adequacy in high-producing dairy cattle..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2011-442122365188J. Dairy Sci. 2012; 95: 1041-1056
One author is employed by Cargill. The other authors declare no conflicts of interest. Cargill provided partial funding for a graduate research assistantship in support of this project.