Materials and Methods
Results and Discussion
Implications and Applications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Review: Control of feed intake by hepatic oxidation in ruminant animals: Integration of homeostasis and homeorhesis..https://doi.org/10.1017/S175173111900321532024573Animal. 2020; 14: s55-s64
- Lactational performance of dairy cows in response to supplementingN-acetyl-l-methionine as a source of rumen protected methionine..J. Dairy Sci. 2019; 101 (Abstr.): 15
AOAC International. 2000. Official Methods of Analysis. Vol. 1 and 2. 17th ed. AOAC Int.
- Response of cows to rumen-protected lysine after peak lactation..https://doi.org/10.15232/pas.2014-01307Prof. Anim. Sci. 2014; 30: 407-412
- Mechanism of heat damage in protein. 2. Chemical changes in pure proteins..https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN197000315424268Br. J. Nutr. 1970; 24: 313-329
- Effect of whole cottonseed, gossypol, and ruminally protected lysine supplementation on milk yield and composition..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(97)76064-89241597J. Dairy Sci. 1997; 80: 1358-1365
- Effect of dietary protein concentration and degradability on response to rumen-protected methionine in lactating dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-127719448006J. Dairy Sci. 2009; 92: 2719-2728
- Performance of dairy cows fed high levels of acetic acid or ethanol..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2012-545123141834J. Dairy Sci. 2013; 96: 398-406
- Review: Rumen sensors: Data and interpretation for key rumen metabolic processes..https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731119003112Animal. 2020; 14: s176-s186
- Milk protein synthesis as a function of amino acid supply..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)73278-615290976J. Dairy Sci. 2004; 87: 1279-1297
- Enhancing in vitro degradation of alfalfa hay and corn silage using feed enzymes..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2006-82017517724J. Dairy Sci. 2007; 90: 2839-2851
- Influence of supplementing a methionine derivative,N-acetyl-l-methionine, in dairy diets on production and ruminal fermentation by lactating cows during early to mid lactation..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2017-1413029729912J. Dairy Sci. 2018; 101: 7082-7094
Finot, P.-A., F. Mottu, E. Bujard, and J. Mauron. 1978. N-substituted lysines as sources of lysine in nutrition. Pages 549–570 in Nutrition Improvement of Food and Feed Proteins.Springer.
- An instrument for the collection and transfer of ruminal fluid and for the administration of water soluble drugs in adult cattle..https://doi.org/10.21423/bovine-vol1993no27p27-42Bov. Pract. 1993; 27: 38-42
- Effects of close-up dietary energy level and supplementing rumen-protected lysine on energy metabolites and milk production in transition cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2018-1596231178198J. Dairy Sci. 2019; 102: 7059-7072
- Increasing inclusion of dried corn distillers grains in dairy cow diets.J. Dairy Sci. 2004; 87 (Abstr.): 1965
- A meta-analysis examining the relationship among dietary factors, dry matter intake, and milk and milk protein yield in dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)70039-915328233J. Dairy Sci. 2004; 87: 2184-2196
- A meta-analysis of the effects of dietary protein concentration and degradability on milk protein yield and milk N efficiency in dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-135219528599J. Dairy Sci. 2009; 92: 3222-3232
- Utilization and partition of dietary nitrogen in dairy cows fed grass silage-based diets..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-118118765617J. Dairy Sci. 2008; 91: 3589-3599
- Practical experiences with L-carnitine..Lohmann Inf. Int. 2002; 26: 21-24
- Short communication: Effect of on-farm feeding practices on rumen protected lysine products..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2014-919726627863J. Dairy Sci. 2016; 99: 1242-1246
- The relationship of milk urea nitrogen to urine nitrogen excretion in Holstein and Jersey cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(01)74675-911699460J. Dairy Sci. 2001; 84: 2284-2294
- Carbohydrate and lignin contents of plant materials used in animal feeding..https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(97)00009-6Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 1997; 67: 319-338
- Further studies on ε-lysine acylase. The ω-N-acyl-diamino acid hydrolase activity of avian kidney..10.1139/o68-0715658148Can. J. Biochem. 1968; 46: 471-475
- Effect of dietary protein level and rumen-protected amino acid supplementation on amino acid utilization for milk protein in lactating dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2014-849625547302J. Dairy Sci. 2015; 98: 1885-1902
- Effect of two levels of crude protein and methionine supplementation on performance of dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)74014-414740841J. Dairy Sci. 2003; 86: 4033-4042
- Effect ofN-acetyl-l-methionine supplementation on lactation performance and plasma variables in mid-lactating dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2018-1571630904299J. Dairy Sci. 2019; 102: 5182-5190
Linn, J. G., and J. D. Olson. 1995. Using milk urea nitrogen to evaluate diets and reproductive performance of dairy cattle. Pages 155–167 in Proc. Four-State Appl. Nutr. Manage. Conf. Univ. Wisconsin.
Menchu, S. 2019. Ruminal protection and intestinal availability of rumen-protected methionine and lysine in lactating dairy cows. MS Thesis. Dept. Anim., Dairy, Vet. Sci., Utah State Univ., Logan.
NASEM (National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine). 2001. Nutrient Requirements of Dairy Cattle. 7th rev. ed. Natl. Acad. Press.
- Feeding protein supplements in alfalfa hay-based lactation diets improves nutrient utilization, lactational performance, and feed efficiency of dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2014-803325262186J. Dairy Sci. 2014; 97: 7716-7728
- The availability of the acetyl derivatives of lysine for growth..https://doi.org/10.1042/bj037051516747684Biochem. J. 1943; 37: 515-518
- Purification and properties of hog kidney ε-lysine acylase..https://doi.org/10.1139/o63-18713941107Can. J. Biochem. Physiol. 1963; 41: 1643-1654
- Lactation responses and amino acid utilization of dairy cows fed low-fat distillers dried grains with solubles with or without rumen-protected lysine supplementation..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2014-831525108862J. Dairy Sci. 2014; 97: 6519-6530
- Improving the Berthelot reaction for determining ammonium in soil extracts and water..https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1998.03615995006200020026xSoil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 1998; 62: 473-480
Robinson, P. H. 2009. Can manipulating ration metabolizable protein amino acid levels really be expected to effect environmental impacts of cows? Pages 34–46 in Proc. Southwest Nutr. Conf. Univ. Arizona.
- Impacts of manipulating ration metabolizable lysine and methionine levels on the performance of lactating dairy cows: A systemic review of the literature..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2009.10.003Livest. Sci. 2010; 127: 115-126
- Effects of feeding a ruminally protected lysine product, with or without isoleucine, valine and histidine, to lactating dairy cows on their productive performance and plasma amino acid profiles..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2010.07.017Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 2010; 161: 75-84
- Productive responses of lactating dairy cattle to supplementing high levels of ruminally protected lysine using a rumen protection technology..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2011.03.019Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 2011; 168: 30-41
- Invited review: The use of distillers products in dairy cattle diets..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2009-254919923586J. Dairy Sci. 2009; 92: 5802-5813
Schwab, C. G., R. S. Ordway, and N. L. Whitehouse. 2004. Amino acid balancing in the context of MP and RUP requirements. Pages 10–25 in Florida Ruminant Nutr. Symp. Univ. Florida.
- The distribution and role of carnitine in the mammalian brain..https://doi.org/10.1016/0024-3205(82)90677-47162355Life Sci. 1982; 31: 2869-2874
- Amino acid needs of lactating dairy cows: impact of feeding lysine in a ruminally protected form on productivity of lactating dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2010.02.008Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 2010; 157: 79-94
- Effect of rumen-protected methionine, lysine or both on milk production and plasma amino acids of high-yielding dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.17221/1730-CJASCzech J. Anim. Sci. 2009; 54: 239-248
- The Cornell Net Carbohydrate and Protein System: Updates to the model and evaluation of version 6.5..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2015-937826142847J. Dairy Sci. 2015; 98: 6361-6380
- Methods of dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-21660498J. Dairy Sci. 1991; 74: 3583-3597
- Carnitine biosynthesis in mammals..https://doi.org/10.1042/bj361041711802770Biochem. J. 2002; 361: 417-429
- Acetylation of peptides inhibits their degradation by rumen micro-organisms..https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN199200951445818Br. J. Nutr. 1992; 68: 365-372
- Effects of dietary supplementation of methionine and lysine on milk production and nitrogen utilization in dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2009-275020655436J. Dairy Sci. 2010; 93: 3661-3670
- Effects of rumen-degradable-protein to rumen-undegradable-protein ratio on nitrogen conversion of lactating dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.1080/09064700802187210Acta Agric. Scand. A Anim. Sci. 2008; 58: 100-103
- The plasma free amino acid dose-response technique: A proposed methodology for determining lysine relative bioavailability of rumen-protected lysine supplements..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2017-1269528964520J. Dairy Sci. 2017; 100: 9585-9601
The authors have not declared any conflicts of interest.