Materials and Methods
Results and Discussion
Implications and Applications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
AOAC International. 2019. Official Methods of Analysis, Method #990.03. 21st ed. AOAC International.
Ball, D. M., D. H. Bade, G. D. Lacefield, N. P. Martin, and B. W. Pinkerton. 1998. Minimizing losses in hay storage and feeding. National Forage Information Circular 98–1, Graphic Center.
- Losses and quality changes during harvest and storage of preservative-treated alfalfa hay of varying moisture content..https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.28346Trans. ASAE. 1993; 36: 349-353
- Storage characteristics and nutritive value of moist large-round bales of alfalfa or alfalfa–grass hay treated with a propionic acid–based preservative..https://doi.org/10.15232/aas.2020-02024Appl. Anim. Sci. 2020; 36: 455-470
- Effects of a propionic acid-based preservative on storage characteristics, nutritive value, and energy content for alfalfa hays packaged in large-round bales..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2011-449622192213J. Dairy Sci. 2012; 95: 340-352
- Storage characteristics, nutritive value, energy content, and in vivo digestibility of moist large-rectangular bales of alfalfa–orchardgrass hay treated with a propionic acid–based preservative..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2012-614523415527J. Dairy Sci. 2013; 96: 2521-2535
- Effects of bale moisture and bale diameter on spontaneous heating, dry matter recovery, in vitro true digestibility, and in situ disappearance kinetics of alfalfa-orchardgrass hays..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-192019448019J. Dairy Sci. 2009; 92 (a): 2853-2874
- Effects of spontaneous heating on fiber composition, fiber digestibility, and in situ disappearance kinetics of neutral detergent fiber for alfalfa-orchardgrass hays..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-192119448020J. Dairy Sci. 2009; 92 (b): 2875-2895
Collins, M. 1995. Hay preservation effects on yield and quality. Pages 67–89 in Post-Harvest Physiology and Preservation of Forages. Proc. C-6 CSSA Symposium, Minneapolis, MN. K. J. Moore and M. A. Peterson, ed. CSSA Special Publication 22. ASA, CSSA, and SSSA. https://doi.org/10.2135/cssaspecpub22.c4.
- Moisture and storage effects on dry matter and quality losses of alfalfa in round bales..https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.30498Trans. ASAE. 1987; 30: 913-917
- Colorimetric method for determination of sugars and related substances..https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60111a017Anal. Chem. 1956; 28: 350-356
- The effect of harvest moisture and bale wrapping on forage quality, temperature, and mold in orchardgrass hay..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jevs.2011.05.003J. Equine Vet. Sci. 2011; 31: 711-716
- A network algorithm for performing Fisher’s exact test in r × c contingency tables..https://doi.org/10.2307/2288652J. Am. Stat. Assoc. 1983; 78: 427-434
NASEM. 2001. Nutrient Requirements of Dairy Cattle. 7th rev. ed. National Academy Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/9825.
- Preservation of alfalfa hay with propionic acid..https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.26187Appl. Eng. Agric. 1991; 7: 33-40
Rotz, C. A., and R. E. Muck. 1994. Changes in forage quality during harvest and storage. p. 828–868. Forage quality, evaluation, and utilization. Proc. Natl. Conf. on Forage Quality, Evaluation, and Utilization, Lincoln, NE. G. C. Fahey et al., ed. ASA, CSSA, and SSSA. https://doi.org/10.2134/1994.foragequality.c20.
SAS Institute Inc. 2016. Version 9.4. SAS Institute Inc.
- Evaluation of dry matter loss, nutritive value, and in situ dry matter disappearance for wilting orchardgrass and bermudagrass forages damaged by simulated rainfall..https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj2005.0604Agron. J. 2005; 97: 604-614
- Effects of organic preservatives on the quality of aerobically stored high moisture baled hay..https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1975.00021962006700050019xAgron. J. 1975; 67: 660-662
- Evaluation of methods to improve storage characteristics of large square bales in a humid environment..https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.5218Appl. Eng. Agric. 2000; 16: 341-350
Van Soest, P. J. 1982. Nutritional Ecology of the Ruminant. Cornell University Press.
- Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and non-starch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-21660498J. Dairy Sci. 1991; 74: 3583-3597
- Individual comparisons by ranking methods..https://doi.org/10.2307/3001968Biom. Bull. 1945; 1: 80-83
The authors have not declared any conflicts of interest.