Materials and Methods
Results and Discussion
Implications and Applications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Systems thinking and thinking systems..https://doi.org/10.1002/sdr.4260100206Syst. Dyn. Rev. 1994; 10: 175-188
Arthington, J. D. 2016. Interview by Jase Taylor. Center Director and Professor, University of Florida.
- The effect of early calf weaning on feed intake, growth, and postpartum interval in thin, Brahman-crossbred primiparous cows..https://doi.org/10.15232/S1080-7446(15)31269-9Prof. Anim. Sci. 2004; 20: 34-38
Arthington, J. D., and J. M. Vendramini. 2013. Early-Weaning Beef Calves at 70–90 Days of Age. Southwest Nutr. Conf., Tucson, AZ.
- Effects of early-weaning on the performance of three-year-old, first-calf beef heifers and calves reared in the subtropics..https://doi.org/10.2527/2003.8151136x12772839J. Anim. Sci. 2003; 81: 1136-1141
Bischoff, K., V. Mercadante, and G.C. Lamb. 2015. Management of Postpartum Anestrus in Beef Cows. Anim. Sci. Dept., UF/IFAS Ext.
- Why don’t well-educated adults understand accumulation? A challenge to researchers, educators, and citizens..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.obhdp.2008.03.003Organ. Behav. Hum. Decis. Process. 2009; 108: 116-130
- Heifer calving date positively influences calf weaning weights through six parturitions..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2013-646523825337J. Anim. Sci. 2013; 91: 4486-4491
- Effects of sire breed, breed type and age and weight at breeding on calving rate and date in beef heifers first exposed at three ages..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1989.6751128xJ. Anim. Sci. 1989; 67: 1128-1137
- Effects of cow parity on voluntary hay intake and performance response to early-weaning of beef calves..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2006.10.014Livest. Sci. 2007; 110: 148-153
- Simulation of vegetation dynamics and management strategies on south Texas, semi-arid rangeland..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2004.11.01915854730J. Environ. Manage. 2005; 75: 379-397
Hersom, M. 2013. Basic Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cows. Univ. Florida IFAS Ext.
- Postbreeding heifer management..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cvfa.2013.07.00224182439Vet. Clin. North Am. Food Anim. Pract. 2013; 29: 627-641
Kunkle, W. E., S. S. Robert, and D. O. Rae. 1998. Effects of Body Condition on Productivity in Beef Cattle. Institute of Food and Agriculture Sciences. Accessed Mar. 2016. https://ufdc.ufl.edu/IR00004528/00001.
- Effects of early-weaning calves from first-calf heifers on calf and heifer performance..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1981.5351193xJ. Anim. Sci. 1981; 53: 1193-1197
- Evaluation of beef cow and calf separation systems to improve reproductive performance of first-calf cows..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2012.08.003Livest. Sci. 2012; 150: 74-79
Meadows, D. 2010, January. Leverage Points: Places to Intervene in a System. Accessed Nov. 12, 2017. https://www.thesolutionsjournal.com/article/leverage-points-places-to-intervene-in-a-system/.
- Production systems comparing early weaning to normal weaning with or without creep feeding for beef steers..https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.772300x10100657J. Anim. Sci. 1999; 77 (a): 300-310
- Comparison of three weaning ages on cow-calf performance and steer carcass traits..https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.772300x10100659J. Anim. Sci. 1999; 77 (b): 323-329
- Performance and carcass traits of early-weaned steers receiving either a pasture growing period or a finishing diet at weaning..https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.772311x10100658J. Anim. Sci. 1999; 77 (c): 311-322
- ASN-ASAS Symposium: Future of Data Analytics in Nutrition: Modeling complex problems with system dynamics: Applications in animal agriculture..https://doi.org/10.1093/jas/skz10530923803J. Anim. Sci. 2019; 97: 1903-1920
- Effects of weaning regimen on energy profiles and reproductive performance of beef cows..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-113819359512J. Anim. Sci. 2009; 87: 2428-2436
- Setting the stage for long-term reproductive health..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cvfa.2013.07.00624182434Vet. Clin. North Am. Food Anim. Pract. 2013; 29: 555-565
- Effect of age at puberty/conception date on cow longevity..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cvfa.2013.07.01124182436Vet. Clin. North Am. Food Anim. Pract. 2013; 29: 579-590
- Cow and calf performance and economic considerations of early-weaning of fall-born beef calves..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1987.64115xJ. Anim. Sci. 1987; 64: 15-22
Rasby, R. 2011. Early-Weaning Beef Calves Sometimes Makes Sense. Inst. Agric. Nat. Res.
- Beef Species Symposium: Can we build the cowherd by increasing longevity of females?.https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2014-881126440322J. Anim. Sci. 2015; 93: 4235-4243
Senge, P. 1990. The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization. Doubleday/Currency.
- An ecological economic simulation model for assessing fire and grazing management effects on mesquite rangelands in Texas..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolecon.2007.04.010Ecol. Econ. 2008; 64: 611-624
- Assessment of the adequacy of mathematical models..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agsy.2005.11.004Agric. Syst. 2006; 89: 225-247
- Mathematical modeling in ruminant nutrition: Approaches and paradigms, extant models, and thoughts for upcoming predictive analytics..https://doi.org/10.1093/jas/skz09230882142J. Anim. Sci. 2019; 97: 1921-1944
- Ramifications of weaning spring and fall born calves early or late relative to weaning at conventional ages..https://doi.org/10.15232/S1080-7446(15)31353-XProf. Anim. Sci. 2004; 20: 490-502
- Managing cow herd dynamics in environments of limited forage productivity and livestock marketing channels: An application to semi-arid Pacific island beef production using system dynamics..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agsy.2019.02.014Agric. Syst. 2019; 173: 78-93
- System dynamics modeling for agricultural and natural resource management issues: Review of some past cases and forecasting future roles..https://doi.org/10.3390/resources5040040Resources. 2016; 5 (a): 40
- Analyzing ranch profitability from varying cow sales and heifer replacement rates for beef cow-calf production using system dynamics..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agsy.2012.07.009Agric. Syst. 2013; 114: 6-14
- Model laboratories: A quick-start guide for design of simulation experiments for dynamic systems models..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2020.109246Ecol. Modell. 2020; 434
- Results of beer game trials played by natural resource managers versus students: Does age influence ordering decisions?.https://doi.org/10.3390/systems8040037Systems. 2020; 8: 37
- Modeling acequia irrigation systems using system dynamics: Model development, evaluation, and sensitivity analyses to investigate effects of socio-economic and biophysical feedbacks..https://doi.org/10.3390/su8101019Sustainability (Basel). 2016; 8 (b): 1019
- A systems approach to forecast agricultural land transformation and soil environmental risk from economic, policy, and cultural scenarios in the north central United States (2012–2062)..https://doi.org/10.1080/14735903.2017.1288029Int. J. Agric. Sustain. 2017; 15: 102-123
- Factors affecting net calf crop in beef cattle..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1961.203409xJ. Anim. Sci. 1961; 20: 409-415
The authors have not declared any conflicts of interest.