Materials and Methods
Results and Discussion
Implications and Applications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Soil aggregates and their associated carbon and nitrogen content in winter annual pastures using different tillage management options..https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2009.0280Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 2010; 74: 1339-1347
- Using zero tillage, fertilisers and legume rotations to maintain productivity and soil fertility in opportunity cropping systems on a shallow Vertosol..https://doi.org/10.1071/EA01175Aust. J. Exp. Agric. 2003; 43: 141-153
- Improving the production, environmental, and economic efficiency of the stocker cattle industry in the southeastern United States..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2012-587323243161J. Anim. Sci. 2013; 91: 2456-2466
- Effects of tillage method and planting date of wheat pasture on forage production and beef calf performance..https://doi.org/10.15232/aas.2018-01829Appl. Anim. Sci. 2019; 35: 269-277
- Economic advantage of no-tilling winter forage for stocker grazing..J. Am. Soc. Farm Manag. Rural Appraisers. 2009; 72: 25-34
- Effect of seeding rates and row spacing on forage and grain production of triticale, wheat, and rye..https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci1980.0011183X002000010025xCrop Sci. 1980; 20: 107-108
- Tillage systems for production of small grain pasture..https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj2007.0136Agron. J. 2008; 100: 1289-1295
- Seasonal forage production and regrowth of hard red and soft red winter wheat..https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1991.00021962008300030003xAgron. J. 1991; 83: 533-537
Chapman, S. L. 1998. Soil Test Recommendation Guide. AGR-9. University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service.
- Effect of planting date on distribution of seasonal forage yields in dual-purpose wheat, oats, and ryegrass crops..10.2134/cftm2015.0205Crop Forage Turfgrass Manage. 2016; 2 (a): 1-8
- Impact of planting date and seeding rate on forage and grain yields of dual-purpose wheat in central Texas..10.2134/cftm2016.06.0045Crop Forage Turfgrass Manage. 2016; 2 (b): 1-8
- Composition and nutrient deficiencies of Arkansas forages for beef cattle..https://doi.org/10.15232/S1080-7446(15)31500-XProf. Anim. Sci. 2002; 18: 127-134
- Economics of five wheat production systems with no-till and conventional tillage..https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj2008.0159Agron. J. 2009; 101: 364-372
- Economic value of grazing vegetative wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) crops in mixed-farming systems of western Australia..https://doi.org/10.1071/EA08286Anim. Prod. Sci. 2009; 49: 807-815
- Tillage affects wheat forage yield in dual purpose systems but not grain yield..10.1094/CM-2010-1105-01-RSCrop Manage. 2010; 9: 1-5
- Winter wheat fall-winter forage yield and grain yield response to planting date in a dual-purpose system..Agric. Syst. 2000; 63: 161-173
- Effects of bambermycin or monensin on performance of steers grazing wheat pasture..Appl. Anim. Sci. 2021; (In press)
- Integrating no-till into crop–pasture rotations in Uruguay..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.still.2003.12.002Soil Tillage Res. 2004; 77: 1-13
- Short-term foraging dynamics of cattle grazing swards with different canopy structure..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-209419684258J. Anim. Sci. 2009; 87: 3817-3824
- Timing of herbage allocation in strip grazing: Effects on grazing pattern and performance of beef heifers..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2005-53716775079J. Anim. Sci. 2006; 84: 1943-1950
- Effect of herbage depletion on short-term foraging dynamics and diet quality of steers grazing wheat pastures..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-372521642497J. Anim. Sci. 2011; 89: 3824-3830
Hoelscher, J. E., and G. D. Laurent. 1982. Soil Survey of Independence County, Arkansas. USDA-Soil Conservation Service, Arkansas Agricultural Experiment Station.
- Planting date influence on dual-purpose winter wheat forage yield, grain yield, and test weight..https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj2003.1179Agron. J. 2003; 95: 1179-1188
- Dry matter production and grain yield from grazed wheat in southern New South Wales..https://doi.org/10.1071/AN09055Anim. Prod. Sci. 2009; 49: 769-776
- The estimation of herbage mass of perennial ryegrass swards: A comparative evaluation of a rising-plate meter and a single probe capacitance meter calibrated at or above ground level..https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2494.1983.tb01652.xGrass Forage Sci. 1983; 38: 295-299
- Effect of establishment method and fall stocking rate of wheat pasture on forage mass, forage chemical composition, and performance of growing steers..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2011-436822585811J. Anim. Sci. 2012; 90: 3286-3293
NASEM (National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine). 2016. Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle. 8th rev. ed. National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/19014.
- Forage intake by beef steers grazing winter wheat with varied herbage allowances..https://doi.org/10.2307/4002420J. Range Manage. 1995; 48: 198-201
- Grazing systems research and impact of stocking strategies on pasture–animal production efficiencies..https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci2015.01.0062Crop Sci. 2015; 55: 2513-2530
Rouquette, F. M., Jr., J. Kerby, G. Nimr, and K. Norman. 2012. Continuous versus rotational stocking of rye and rye-ryegrass pastures at different stocking rates and forage allowances. J. Anim. Sci. 90(Suppl. 3):28–29. (Abstr.) Accessed Mar. 19, 2021. https://www.jtmtg.org/JAM/2012/abstracts/27.pdf.
Rouquette, F. M., Jr., J. Kerby, G. Nimr, and K. Norman. 2013. Stocking strategies and stocking rate to enhance utilization, gain per animal, and gain per unit land area from rye-ryegrass pastures. J. Anim. Sci. 91(E-Suppl. 2):89–90. (Abstr.) Accessed Mar. 19, 2021. https://www.jtmtg.org/JAM/2013/abstracts/87.pdf.
Schaffer, O. J. 2007. Impact of planting date and seeding rate on grain and forage yields of wheat in Texas. MS Thesis. Texas A&M University, College Station.
- Response of hard red winter wheat to seed density and seeding rate in no-till..https://doi.org/10.2134/jpa1999.0100J. Prod. Agric. 1999; 12: 100-104
- Stochastic dominance analysis of returns to stocker grazing on conservation tillage winter wheat forage in Arkansas..https://doi.org/10.2489/jswc.66.1.51J. Soil Water Conserv. 2011; 66: 51-60
The authors have not declared any conflicts of interest.