Materials and Methods
Results and Discussion
Implications and Applications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Adams, R. S. 1995. Dairy nutrition. Pages 108–109 in Dairy Reference Manual. 3rd ed. C. Walker, ed. Northeast Regional Agricultural Engineering Service.
- Effect of winter feeding systems on farm greenhouse gas emissions..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agsy.2016.06.008Agric. Syst. 2016; 148: 28-37
- Management characteristics of beef cattle production in the Northern Plains and Midwest regions of the United States..https://doi.org/10.15232/pas.2016-01539Prof. Anim. Sci. 2016; 32: 736-749
AOAC International. 2005. Official Methods of Analysis. AOAC International.
- Swath-grazing triticale and corn compared to barley and a traditional winter-feeding method in central Alberta..https://doi.org/10.4141/cjps2013-412Can. J. Plant Sci. 2014; 94: 1125-1137
- Nitrogen and phosphorus utilization and excretion by beef cows fed a low-quality forage diet supplemented with dried distillers’ grains with solubles under thermal neutral and prolonged cold conditions..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2014.03.010Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 2014; 193: 9-20
- Estimation of energy expenditure from heart rate measurements in cattle maintained under different conditions..https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.76123054x9928610J. Anim. Sci. 1998; 76: 3054-3064
- Energy balance of grazing beef cattle in Mediterranean pasture, the effects of stocking rate and season: 2. Energy expenditure as estimated from heart rate and oxygen consumption, and energy balance..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livprodsci.2004.03.008Livest. Prod. Sci. 2004; 90: 101-115
Burns, J. C., K. R. Pond, and D. S. Fisher. 1994. Measurement of forage intake. Pages 494–532 in Forage Quality, Evaluation, and Utilization. G. C. Fahey, ed. American Society of Agronomy; Crop Science Society of America; Soil Science Society of America.
- Influence of advancing season on dietary composition, intake, site of digestion, and microbial efficiency in beef steers grazing a native range in western North Dakota..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-083318791151J. Anim. Sci. 2009; 87: 375-383
- Influence of advancing season on dietary composition, intake, site of digestion, and microbial efficiency in beef steers grazing season-long or twice-over rotation native range pastures in western North Dakota..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-265820418453J. Anim. Sci. 2010; 88: 2812-2824
- Economic impacts of extended grazing systems..https://doi.org/10.1017/S0889189300003428Am. J. Altern. Agric. 1990; 5: 120-125
- Average daily gain and water intake in growing beef calves offered snow as a water source..https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas90-085Can. J. Anim. Sci. 1990; 70 (a): 711-714
- The performance of pregnant beef cows relying on snow as a water source..https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas90-062Can. J. Anim. Sci. 1990; 70 (b): 507-515
- Competition for feed affects the feeding behavior of growing dairy heifers..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-193419620675J. Dairy Sci. 2009; 92: 3922-3929
- Performance of growing cattle grazing stockpiled Jesup tall fescue with varying endophyte status..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-097719028859J. Anim. Sci. 2009; 87: 1034-1041
Enz, J. W. 2003. North Dakota topographic, climatic, and agricultural overview. Accessed May 21, 2020. https://www.ndsu.edu/fileadmin/ndsco/documents/ndclimate.pdf.
- Heifer development systems: Dry-lot feeding compared with grazing dormant winter forage..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-309521521820J. Anim. Sci. 2011; 89: 1595-1602
- Energy expenditure by heifers grazing crested wheatgrass of diminishing availability..https://doi.org/10.2307/3898602J. Range Manage. 1982; 35: 447-450
- Extending the grazing season..https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-3870.2009.tb00233.xLivestock (Lond). 2009; 14: 27-31
- Space allowance and barriers influence cow competition for mixed rations fed on a feed-pad between bouts of grazing..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2013-755324746131J. Dairy Sci. 2014; 97: 3578-3588
- Influence of season in dietary composition, intake, and digestion by beef steers grazing mixed-grass prairie in the northern Great Plains..https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.7661682x9655589J. Anim. Sci. 1998; 76: 1682-1690
- Effects of winter-feeding system on beef cow performance, ruminal fermentation and system costs..https://doi.org/10.15232/aas.2020-01983Appl. Anim. Sci. 2020; 36: 731-744
- Winter feeding beef cattle on the western Canadian prairies: Impacts on soil nitrogen and phosphorous cycling and forage growth..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2011.02.024Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 2011; 141: 143-152
- Effects of beef cow winter feeding systems, pen manure and compost on soil nitrogen and phosphorous amounts and distribution, soil density, and crop biomass..https://doi.org/10.1007/s10705-011-9480-yNutr. Cycl. Agroecosyst. 2012; 92: 183-194
- Effect of winter-feeding system on beef cow performance, reproductive efficiency, and system cost..https://doi.org/10.15232/S1080-7446(15)30513-1Prof. Anim. Sci. 2011; 27: 410-421
- Performance of stocker cattle grazing bales in winter and supplemented with wheat-based dried distillers’ grains plus solubles or barley grain in western Canada..https://doi.org/10.15232/pas.2018-01723Prof. Anim. Sci. 2018; 34: 460-468
Lardy, G. P. 2018. Cow-calf producer’s guide to custom feeding. North Dakota State University Extension. Accessed Sep. 13, 2021. https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/publications/livestock/a-cow-calf-producers-guide-to-custom-feeding.
Lardy, G. P., V. L. Anderson, and S. L. Boyles. 2017. Dry lot beef cow-calf production. North Dakota State University, North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station. Accessed Sep. 13, 2021. file:///C:/Users/michael.undi/Downloads/as974%20(5).pdf.
NASEM (National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine). 2016. Nutrient Requirement of Beef Cattle. 8th rev. ed. National Academy Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/19014.
NDAWN (North Dakota Agricultural Weather Network). 2021. NDAWN Center. Accessed May 15, 2021. https://ndawn.ndsu.nodak.edu/.
NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration). 2021. National Centers for Environmental Information. Accessed Jun. 22, 2021. https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/datasets/GHCND/stations/GHCND:USC00328415/detail.
North Dakota Department of Trust Lands. 2021. County rents and prices—North Dakota. Accessed Sep. 21, 2021. https://www.land.nd.gov/resources/north-dakota-county-rents-prices-annual-survey.
- Influence of winter weather and shelter on activity patterns of beef cows..https://doi.org/10.4141/A01-070Can. J. Anim. Sci. 2002; 82: 491-501
- The physiology of eating and the energy expenditure of the ruminant at pasture..https://doi.org/10.2307/3896717J. Range Manage. 1974; 27: 437-443
- Utilization of stockpiled tall fescue in winter grazing systems for beef cattle..https://doi.org/10.15232/S1080-7446(15)30573-8Prof. Anim. Sci. 2010; 26: 142-149
Rasby, R. J., A. Stalker, and R. N. Funston. 2014. Body Condition Scoring Beef Cows: A Tool for Managing the Nutrition Program for Beef Herds. University of Nebraska–Lincoln Extension. Accessed Feb. 3, 2018. https://extensionpublications.unl.edu/assets/pdf/ec281.pdf.
Saskatchewan Ministry of Agriculture. 2008. Bale grazing and the bale grazing calculator. Accessed Aug. 17, 2020. https://www.agrireseau.net/bovinsboucherie/documents/adxGetMedia%20.pdf.
Ungar, E. D. 1996. Ingestive behaviour. Pages 185–218 in The Ecology and Management of Grazing Systems. J. Hodgson and A. W. Illius, ed. CABI International.
USDA-NRCS (Natural Resources Conservation Service). 2021. Soil web survey. 2021. Accessed Apr. 15, 2020. https://websoilsurvey.sc.egov.usda.gov/App/HomePage.htm.
- Windrow grazing and baled-hay feeding strategies for wintering calves..https://doi.org/10.2307/4003259J. Range Manage. 2002; 55: 23-32
- Direct effects of cold weather on the energetic efficiency of beef production in different regions of Canada..https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas70-077Can. J. Anim. Sci. 1970; 50: 563-573
- Impact of agonistic interactions on feeding behaviors when beef heifers are fed in a competitive feeding environment..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2010.09.022Livest. Sci. 2011; 137: 1-9
The authors have not declared any conflicts of interest.