Materials and Methods
Results and Discussion
Implications and Applications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
AOAC International. 2000. Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC International. 17th ed. AOAC International.
AOAC International. 2006. Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC International. 18th ed. AOAC International.
- Symposium review: The importance of the ruminal epithelial barrier for a healthy and productive cow..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2018-1524330580938J. Dairy Sci. 2019; 102: 1866-1882
- Review: Following the smoke signals: Inflammatory signaling in metabolic homeostasis and homeorhesis in dairy cattle..10.1017/S1751731119003203Animal. 2020; 14: s144-s154
- Invited review: Essential oils as modifiers of rumen microbial fermentation..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2006-64417517698J. Dairy Sci. 2007; 90: 2580-2595
- Incidence, prevalence, severity, and risk factors for ruminal acidosis in feedlot steers during backgrounding, diet transition, and finishing..10.2527/jas.2014-7599J. Anim. Sci. 2014; 92: 3053-3063
- Lipopolysaccharide induces lipolysis and insulin resistance in adipose tissue from dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2021-2085534696909J. Dairy Sci. 2022; 105: 842-855
- Anise and capsicum as alternatives to monensin to modify rumen fermentation in beef heifers fed a high concentrate diet..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2007.04.018Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 2008; 145: 409-417
Goering, H. K., and P. J. Van Soest. 1970. Forage Fiber Analysis. USDA-ARS Handbook No. 379. USDA Superintendent of Documents, US Government Printing Office.
- Determination of starch, including maltooligosaccharides, in animal feeds: Comparison of methods and a method recommended for AOAC collaborative study..J. AOAC Int. 2009; 92: 42-49
- Effects of continuous and increasing lipopolysaccharide infusion on basal and stimulated metabolism in lactating Holstein cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2018-1562730660419J. Dairy Sci. 2019; 102: 3584-3597
- Effect of dietary energy substrate and days on feed on apparent total tract digestibility, ruminal short-chain fatty acid absorption, acetate and glucose clearance, and insulin responsiveness in finishing feedlot cattle..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas2017.181729293742J. Anim. Sci. 2017; 95: 5606-5616
- Effects of lipopolysaccharide exposure in primary bovine ruminal epithelial cells..10.3168/jds.2020-18652J. Dairy Sci. 2020; 103: 9587-9603
- Effects of chromium supplementation to feedlot steers on growth performance, insulin sensitivity, and carcass characteristics..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2015-951726812328J. Anim. Sci. 2016; 94: 217-226
- The effects of capsaicin and capsiate on energy balance: Critical review and meta-analyses of studies in humans..https://doi.org/10.1093/chemse/bjr10022038945Chem. Senses. 2012; 37: 103-121
- Whole-body and splanchnic amino acid metabolism in sheep during an acute endotoxin challenge..10.1017/S0007114516001860Br. J. Nutr. 2016; 116: 211-222
NASEM (National Academy of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine). 2016. Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle. 8th ed. National Academies Press.
NBQA (National Beef Quality Audit). 2018. 2016/17 Plant Carcass Audit. Accessed Apr. 26, 2021. https://www.beefresearch.ca/files/pdf/NBQA-Carcass-Audit-Mar-27-2018-F.pdf.
Oh, J. 2015a. Effects of Capsicum oleoresin on feed intake, milk production, immune responses, blood metabolites, and hormones in lactating dairy cows. PhD Diss. ProQuest Diss. Publ., The Pennsylvania State Univ., University Park. https://search.proquest.com/docview/1989030832?pq-origsite=gscholar.
- Effects of dietary Capsicum oleoresin on productivity and immune responses in lactating dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2014-929426188565J. Dairy Sci. 2015; 98 (b): 6327-6339
- Effects of rumen-protected Capsicum oleoresin on immune responses in dairy cows intravenously challenged with lipopolysaccharide..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2016-1166628109601J. Dairy Sci. 2017; 100 (a): 1902-1913
- Effects of rumen-protected Capsicum oleoresin on productivity and responses to a glucose tolerance test in lactating dairy cows..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2016-1166528088423J. Dairy Sci. 2017; 100 (b): 1888-1901
- Effect of ruminal acidosis and short-term low feed intake on indicators of gastrointestinal barrier function in Holstein steers..https://doi.org/10.1093/jas/skx04929385473J. Anim. Sci. 2018; 96: 108-125
- Chemical and pharmacological aspects of capsaicin..10.3390/molecules16021253Molecules. 2011; 16: 1253-1270
- Effects of dietary addition of capsicum extract on intake, water consumption, and rumen fermentation of fattening heifers fed a high-concentrate diet..https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-319122648751J. Anim. Sci. 2012; 90: 1879-1884
- Effect of rumen-protected capsicum on milk production in early lactating cows in a pasture-based system..10.2527/jam2016-1395J. Dairy Sci. 2016; 99: 664
- The cell biology of systemic insulin function..10.1083/jcb.201802095J. Cell Biol. 2018; 217: 2273-2289
- Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition..https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-21660498J. Dairy Sci. 1991; 74: 3583-3597
- Concentrations of hormones in plasma from cattle with different growth potentials..10.2527/jas1987.642426xJ. Anim. Sci. 1987; 64: 426-432
- Effects of feeding rumen-protected Capsicum oleoresin on growth performance, health status, and total tract digestibility of growing beef cattle..https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2020.114778Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 2021; 271
Two of the authors are employed by Pancosma ADM, which provided funding for this research. The other authors have not declared any conflicts of interest.